Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Blood Glucose Makes Me Find Out About Ray Peat's Cancer Survival

Never a dull moment.

I had acquired a glucose meter in preparation for the documentation of my Peat style diet. I used it a few times when I received it, just to get the hang of it. I was a little surprised by the results -- 98 fasting, 102 post prandial... I figured it must be the sugar in the Peat diet that made the difference -- I had always been under 90 before.

The day before yesterday, I checked again my fasting glucose level. 111!!! What?!?

I freaked out. Later that day, I had 102 before lunch, 103 after lunch. Yesterday, 102 fasting, 109 post-prandial. Today, 109 fasting...

Which sent me into a googling frenzy, of course, and this came up:
Typically, blood glucose levels are unaffected by hypothyroidism because insulin sensitivity is not altered. In fact, in patients utilizing exogenous insulin, there may be a decrease in insulin requirements from reduced insulin degradation. Therefore, typically, glucose remains stable or improves while a person is hypothyroid. Once thyroid treatment is initiated, patient education and close observation is vital because normalization of the thyroid may potentially lead to higher blood glucose levels and loss of diabetes control.
(From "Diabetes and Thyroid Disease: A Likely Combination" by Jennal L. Johnson, MS, RNC, FNP, CDE, and Daniel S. Duick, MD, FACP, FACE, published in Diabetes Spectrum Volume 15, Number 3, 2002)

Basically, I might have become insulin resistant, or pre-diabetic, a tendency that thrived on my lovely Peat diet. My low thyroid levels were masking that development! Could this be actually the reason behind the down regulation of my hormones? They may have kept it all in check for me. Some argue -- and intuitively I believe them -- that the body is truly smart and should not be second guessed... Sometimes, a slowered metabolism and impaired functionality are the body's way to deal with severe issues, from Lyme disease to... diabetes, why not? I sure have the genes for it, unfortunately.

Now I have to watch this development. No fun at all. I think I need to let go of sugar. I know, I know, what an unPeatian thing to do, right? Besides, those results are not so bad and they may represent a temporary spike, caused by T4 supplementation. I should be so lucky!

I kept googling and found out that someone with full blown diabetes went on a certain forum and obtained some thoughtful advice from a certain "female German" user. The latter, true to her habit, and with best intentions, no doubt, spared no effort and wrote lengthy, persuasive messages, pushing progesterone by the spoonful, sugar, salt and such... But in the heat of the argumentation and the throes of admiration from her newly found patient, she let go off a piece of information that sent my head spinning. You be the judge:
“Once I asked Ray Peat about PAP testing and what could be done if the PAP test came back with a bad result. He told me this was a way to threaten women into unnecessary procedures. If you used vitamin A, vitamin E and progesterone and thyroid, both orally and topically - you would be fine within a month. He'd given this advice to many women over the last 50 years and it always worked. He'd thought about it when he had pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions in his mouth and used vitamin A and E and pregnenolone and thyroid to heal them (which they did). He realized that the mucous of the mouth was similar to that of the vagina. I have given this advice to many women during the last couple of years. It always worked.”
I had never read before that the man himself had dealt with oral cancer... Let alone that he cured it with vitamin A, vitamin E, thyroid and pregnenolone...

No progesterone? I wonder why…

And, most of all, I wonder how I feel about just finding out that my new diet hero had 1. "cancerous lesions" 2. in his mouth 3. where he used to administer himself experimental doses of progesterone 4. which is considered by some carcinogenic and angiogenic 5. on the background of a diet with lots of sugar, coffee, and with tons of components considered by others, well, unhealthy and cancer-promoting.

It is all about context, right?

And yes, I do realize that Ray Peat was subjected to recreational radiation in his youth. I would have hoped that his diet beat cancer by a safe margin, though...

I also did notice that Ray Peat uses most vitamins and supplements topically now. "As a precaution"...

However, I remember the same zealous Peatarian (aka Rayser?) was strongly advocating the use of progesterone on another thread, together with Vitamin K and other such treats, for someone else who was battling lung cancer. 

Both "patients" advised by Peatarian abruptly stopped writing on that board.


I hope they are OK...

I will abruptly stop reading "testimonials" and abruptly wonder more than ever. Maybe this blog should not even exist, it draws attention to a current that has a few rabid proponents who can cause quite a bit of harm in their healing attempts. That is why I am not even linking to those threads, google for yourselves, maybe they are still up there... Things do become invisible on that forum!

The mind boggles.


I don't even want to comment on the "mucous of the mouth was similar to that of the vagina" part and the fact that both Peat and Peatarian reportedly have been healing cervical cancer with progesterone used "topically". 

I learned a whole lot from Ray Peat and from many of his followers. Generally, they are open minded -- which makes them permeable to Peat's contrarian ideas to begin with.

Too bad a few of his followers out there are truly scary.

(On another thread, people were discussing Ray Peat’s “scratchy” voice. Not one brought up the cancer in his past as a possible explanation. What a sinister “community”! Under the appearance of freedom of expression and genuine care, a bunch of zealots censor everybody to the point that that entire board perversely turns into a persuasive advertisement for Ray Peat and Ray Peat practitioners' methods!) 


May my shield of common sense stay up. I need it. I don't think that most doctors are stupid and evil, nor that most studies are flawed. And while I still like Ray Peat a whole lot and I am grateful for all the new understanding he brought into my life, after time consuming research and pondering, I have reached the conclusion that he cherry-picks with the best of them and nobody should stop his or her search for health on his site.


Time to say good bye to much of the sugar I enjoyed so far. It is simply not worth it. I am at higher risk for diabetes, 25% more than the norm, according to my genetic imprint, why push it?

Besides, since the diet and supplements he advocates did not prevent Peat from having to deal with cancer (and I wonder if I shouldn't add, "on the contrary"?) it makes all the more sense to me that there may be some truth in the findings of those who say that sugar favors tumors and that progesterone favors angiogenesis and growth of new tissue. 



8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to impose but you do realize that t4 only hormone has been shown in studies to suppress thyroid function in women right?

    That is why your blood sugar is high, you need to switch to a dessicated hormone.

    Also, peat didn't take progesterone because it is not really that good for men. It will lower testosterone levels, pregnenolone is much better for men.

    And peat didn't start eating "peatarian" until much much latter in life, around age 50. 50 years of a diet without pufa restriction can certainly cause cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realize that t4 only hormone suppresses thyroid function right? That is why your blood sugar levels are high. The more t4 only you take the worse your thyroid will get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jake, thanks for stopping by and for the thoughtful advice.

    I am not convinced that I should play around with glandular thyroid, it is said to increase the level of antibodies in Hashimoto's and I do want to see those go down.

    Maybe that is a vain ambition and I should stop worrying about them but somehow I cannot. I want the process of thyroid destruction to be over already and I want those antibodies out of there -- whether or not they are there simply "cleaning up" or doing the killing as well. AntiTGOs did retire last time I checked them, it's just those AntiTPOs that are still through the roof.

    As to the suppression of the thyroid function, I'm still hoping it won't get to that. I don't know, in my best case scenario my thyroid is back functioning correctly once the antibodies disappear and my nutrition helps it recover and I shall live happily ever after. 37.5 mcg is not a whole lot and I still hope I can stage a gradual withdrawal at some future point.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray Peat has published some fascinating ideas but he's not God. He doesn't pretend to be God and he doesn't pretend to be less than human. He is not a diet book and he is not the government food pyramid; he's just a man who saw some things and wrote about them. If his observations are not leading you to health then stop following him because I don't think he's interested in a following.

    Do what you want.

    By the way, a fasting 109 is really no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi what form of cancer did Peat have in the past?
    Is there anywhere I can read his take on it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Progesterone can make cancer grow...I used it as an alternative while battling breast cancer. I was told it could make it grow for awhile then should stop, but did not happen. I had estrogen/progesterone positive cancer. I tried all the alternatives from (those who were still alive) for almost 4 years, yet almost all did not work kept growing. As much as I hated to go thru medical treatment, I did & am still here today 10 years later. Everyone seems to have a piece of the truth but not all. I believe Peat has valid information about cancer & diet. His work is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My experience is that sugar is superior to complex carbohydrates. If I consume starch in any form, my blood sugar goes up to prediabetic levels (150-160 mg/dl) and stays there for a few hours. If I only consume sugar, my blood sugar might go up to about 100 mg/dl and it goes back to fasting levels within 45 minutes. My fasting glucose is always perfect. Somewhere about 85-90. Although, it has gone down to 75 a few times.

    With sugar I am less diabetic than I was with complex carbohydates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It can be "reversed" yes, but subject to the folks continuing the diet of very low carbs/calories... and it looks like forever. That was what the researchers themselves had to concede in the end. Is it really a cure?! There are people who have high BG but are not diabetic. Perhaps we get too obsessed with this BG thingy. There was this well-known experiment conducted on diabetics - to bring their BG down to the mainstream belief of a 'healthy range'. Yes, the researchers did achieve their targeted BG generally. BUT - some of the experimental subjects died on that account - sacrificial victims, I guess!! Cjuan

    ReplyDelete